Tuesday, June 16, 2009

sugary recycling

I'm featured in Audrey's blog today! She's so sweet and hers is one of the blogs I never miss! So go see it!

Today was a good day. I submitted my first article to my editor. Now I hope she has mercy on me and approves it. If by some miracle that does occur, I'll let you all know where you can go read it. Until then you can just check out the whole website. I have a bio on there. Go to www.handmadenews.org and click on 'Green Wise' on the right hand side. Then at the top where the columnists are listed, you can click on my name. Yay! Fun!

I'm going to be writing a 'Going Green with Your Dog' series. That's going to be a blast. Me and Jers did our first green experiment tonight. I made her some sock toys. She loooooved them. It was darling though. She shook them around and kept hitting herself in the head. She killed them in less than an hour. *sigh* At least it was free.

So I made like two posts on Twitter about how I had submitted my first green article or whatever, and all the sudden I have like 12 new green people following me. Within a few hours. How do they do that?? Not that I'm complaining. I just wonder.

Mom and Dad had sod delivered today. It came on a pallet. When they got done laying all the sod, there was this nice, spanking new (if somewhat dirty) pallet left. Dad wanted to keep it and Mom was arguing about where in the heck they'd put it. I can't blame him, I'd wanna keep it too. I just do stuff like that. Like one day I'm going to desperately need a pallet and then I'll have one. Anyway, I said something about tiling it and Dad goes, "$5000 on Mastercard. Having the only one of its kind...priceless." I don't know why but that really amused me. It doesn't sound as funny when you type it out. I guess you have to know my dad. The way he says things is just funny. That was rather random and pointless.

Stacy visited from the sticks today. She wanted to go shopping in my store. FYI, my store consists of all my stuff laid out on the floor in my workroom. Anyway, she needed a gift. She picked out my brown oval tiled mirror. I was sad to see it go. I finished my earring holders and posted one of them on Etsy! I'm waiting to post the other one and a new tray. You're supposed to spread them out, apparently. Oh, and I'm going to post it on ArtFire. Because I got a free upgraded seller account because I write for them now. When you look at my page it's looks all fancy with my "verified seller" label on there! Go look! I have to figure out what all the verified seller account includes that I didn't have before. I have a job that has perks! This is way cool :)

In my quest for greenness today, I found this awesome shop that uses recycled aluminum cans to make stuff like jewelry and magnets. The picture caught my eye on ArtFire and I was hooked. It comes from Funky Recycling. There's a shop on Etsy and on ArtFire. They call their stuff "Funky Junq Eco-Art".

Make sure to check out both of the shops cause there's different stuff in them. In the ArtFire shop, I really like the paw print and the chicken. Rock on. I just love the stuff! It's so shiny and good-for-the-environmenty. And yes, environmenty is totally a word.

I'm getting kind of a late start on my stuff tonight, so I'd better go now. I was actually asleep before 1:30am last night though! Baby steps :)

Have a good-for-the-environmenty night!

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with going green. Did you watch "The Bachelorette" last night? There is a guy on there from your town...and he is 25 and pretty darn cute. Now, Jillian just needs to send him packing so you can get him! Then, when people come to your house they will be jealous of all your stuff and your guy from the bachelorette....ok I guess I don't know how to spell that word..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did watch it! And I'm not sure that anyone knows how to spell it. I saw that he was from Spring a few weeks ago! That's so weird cause it's always Houston, but never Spring. I'm gonna have to hunt his ass down when this is over - whether she picks him or not :) And since a husband is pretty much like cool stuff for my house, he would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome that you're writing for Handmade News! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the article submission! Can't wait to read it!

    I love shops that use recycled or handmade stuff! My friend from work uses corks from wine bottles and makes so much cool stuff! She cuts them out and puts them in bezels and makes earrings and pendants. Totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read the article!! And if you ever come across a doggie toy that isn't destroyed in a day and not insanely expensive, let me know!! I have three doggie kids!
    I have browsed "Funky Junq Eco-Art" too, who would have ever guessed old icky soda cans could be so cute!
    ~Michele from By Your Side

    ReplyDelete