Monday, April 27, 2009

pour some sugar on me

Ha! Now you're all going to have that song stuck in your head all day.

But seriously, who doesn't like sugar? I think I might be addicted. Well, I'm a recovering addict. I gave it up completely at one point. What followed was not a pretty thing. Mood swings, headaches, nausea, exhaustion...the whole spectrum of withdrawal symptoms. I kid you not. I don't joke about my sugar. As you can tell, I ate a lot of sugar. Lot's of candy and cookies and brownies. Gobstoppers are my favorite. Mmmmmm, Gobstoppers. My detox went on for about 2 months. Then I slowly started integrating some sugar back into my diet. I'm proud to say that although I splurge sometimes, I'm still doing quite well.

There is a point to all that. I'm attempting to introduce my very first blog feature. I shall call it "Spoonful of Sugar". Every day I'll find a handmade shop or item that I adore and post it on here. A little taste of handmade sweetness from me to you.

I'm a teeny bit proud of the name because it has some meaning behind it. Here's my reasoning: life sucks sometimes. It just does. There's no getting around it or avoiding it. Some days it just downright bites. So today I was sitting around not eating (ok, I was) a few (twenty-three) Gobstoppers, and I got to thinking about how sometimes you just need something sweet to enjoy. Something for yourself. For some people it might be a bath. For me, it's sugar. I realized that life is kind of like that. In all of the crap we get loaded down with, sometimes we just need something sweet. Then I started thinking about Mary Poppins. I have no idea how my brain gets from point 'A' to point 'B' sometimes. But there's that song on the movie about how a "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." The point? Life is medicine. Some days you can hold your breath and shoot it and some days you need some help.

So I hope that my daily "Spoonful of Sugar" helps life go down a little bit easier. Just something pretty, fun, touching, charming, indulgent, hysterical, colorful, calming, unique, decadent or whatever other adjectives you like. Something to look at (and maybe buy!!) to restore a little bit of something you lost.

Plus it's a heck of a lot of fun for me! Not that a shopping addiction is going to be any better than a sugar addiction...

No comments:

Post a Comment